Sunday, July 17, 2016

Goodbye Cook Farm

SO much has happened.
I've been steeping in deep lessons from farm life.
The experience has really been something I will never forget.
The work has been tough.
The days have been long, some have been short.
My skin is a toasted dark mocha brown,
My cheeks a constant rouge.
My back, my hips, my feet, my hands
All speaking loudly in the mornings with stiffness from the last day's work.
Honest work.
Work that requires a constant moving
Work that is repetitive & meditative 
Work that is dirt & bugs 
Work that is rashes & sweat
The process of farming good quality veggies requires hard honest work
Or otherwise some expensive technology
It requires you to get on the ground
in the ground.
I thought I was tough.
That sun reminded me 
Some weeks day in and out
That I'm nothing 
but a burning little speck of dust.
I'm so glad for this experience.
I'm totally burned out.
I will miss the days on that 7ish acre farm.
I will miss the morning sunrise
The sound of roosters in the morning
The little shiny morning gems of dew
perfectly still and balanced in-between the curly edges of kale.
The rainbow luminescent stalks of swiss chard.
The feeling of wet muddy sucking between each toe of my barefoot.
The scene of light brown weed-ridden dirt 
scuffle-hoed into a deep brown weed-free zone.
The bird's eye view of baskets filled with the 
amazingly vibrant color scheme of a fresh harvest.
The rocking of my body in the back of the truck,
eyes closed & swimming in sweat
 with the cool wind beating my face 
right after the sun had just finished beating me too.
What a freaking life.
I will miss the creatures, humans too,
all the quirks and interactions
convos & soul transactions.
Yum.
Thank you Cook farm.




No comments:

Post a Comment